Sunday, September 9, 2012

Psychology!

For about a year I have gone between different things I've wanted to major in. I went from being interested in political science to engineering to architecture and over the summer I appear to have settled on psychology.
     People have always been very fascinating to me. When I was younger I would always wonder why people would do certain things and lately I've been trying more and more to discover why I do certain things. At the root of psychology is the very question: "Why do people do what they do?" My grandmother, uncle and aunt are all psychologists so perhaps I have a gene for it and I've always loved to listen to people talk and try and help them with their problems.
      Another thing that I've always loved are dreams. I am a firm believer that all dreams do have significance, however the meaning isn't always apparent or enlightening in the moment.  I keep a dream diary and I've tried to lucid dream before but only accomplished complete dominance of the dream once. For those who don't know lucid dreaming is when you are fully aware that you are dreaming while you are dreaming. Some lucid dreamers can manipulate their environments, people, physics etc.
      The other thing I like about psychology is that it analyzes emotions not only by themselves but also how they relate to actions; two people may feel a similar way and be in a similar circumstance but emotions and feelings have various effects on each individual. Personally I'm someone who is motivated by guilt a lot at times so I'm curious about why it is that I feel that guilt.
     Psychology is by no means a black and white field. There are tons of theories that are highly controversial and while there is truth to almost every theory they don't always apply because each individual is unique. I like this because unlike math or physics, psychology is intentionally subjective and better adapts to the real world.
      Once I started considering psychology as a major, I started to look at career paths, graduate school etc. There are 3 main types of psychologists: 1) the researchers (do psychological experiments) 2) the applied psychologists (make suggestions to companies based on research) 3) Clinical psychologists (classic cliche image). In order to practice clinical psychology (which I think I'm interested in) the best chances are to take two years of graduate school for a masters degree and then four years of doctoral to attain the Doctorate of psychology (Psy. D) this is all in addition to a BA (4 years) in a psychology-related topic or a health-related topic. 10 more years of school might sound daunting to some of my peers but I thoroughly enjoy learning and there's always room for a gap year. Who knows where I'll end up in 11 years? If anything going straight through the ten years is probably the least likely outcome as I want to be married and have some children somewhere in there. The Psy. D would allow me to do my own research, practice psychology, teach, write (something else I love to do) and recommend people for psychiatrists (the ones who prescribe medication). I believe that the earnings would be enough for me to live a comfortable life even with family, keep me interested in what I was doing, allow me to travel every now and then and most importantly feel as though my life was purposeful and spent helping people. Who knows if that's where I'll end up. That's the beauty of life, it can take you some many different directions :)
-E.

No comments:

Post a Comment