Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Box-Man Post-Discussion Questions

1) One new thing I  learned about the essay from the discussion was how the season plays in a role in influencing how we view the box-man. The author chooses to not show the harshness of homelessness in winter so that the reader can understand the box-man's decision to accept loneliness.
2) I wish we had talked more about the two women mentioned later in the essay because I feel that they are the examples the author most wants the reader to see. We really didn't explore them in any depth.
3)  I wish I had said earlier "It's not what is said, but how it's said" because I felt like we spent too much time on the interpretation.

5 comments:

  1. Yes that is interesting how the author left out the winter. A whole other discussion on why she would do that! I agree that there was too much time spent on what was said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also learned how the season effects the reader's interpretation of the essay. I'm positive the box man would not be nearly as content in the winter. I wish we would have talked more about the two women too, but I disagree they are the examples she wanted the reader most to see. I think the box man was her primary example. We did spend A LOT of time on interpretation, and barely discussed her language, syntax, and tone throughout the essay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, your comment is too short.! E. Robinson, I agree that the author did leave some of the harsher realities out of their portrayal, including a New York winter. Your second wish seems to be a popular one, as most people agree with it. I agree that we didn't follow Mrs. Guerard's discussion guidelines very well, and hope that next time we can focus on the "how".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that we spent too much time on interpretation. Collectively as a class I believe most of us regret not discussing the women more. I found the examples much more interesting and more relevant to the subject of loneliness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with what you said in #2, we didn't spend enough time discussing the women. I believe the women were an important part to the thesis, and we just concentrated on the Box Man.

    ReplyDelete