Saturday, August 11, 2012

Looking to the Stars for my Senior Project

When it came time for me to choose my senior project at the end of last year I knew I wanted to use a completely fresh topic. I decided I would benefit more from the project if it was something I had next to zero experience with because by the end of it I would have a completely new skill. I felt if I had done something I was already passionate about and had put the hours into, I wouldn't gain nearly as much from the project.

At first I just didn't know what that topic would be. I thought about cooking, psychology, kayaking rock climbing, scuba diving. Then one day I thought about astronomy. My only experience with stargazing has been on camping trips with my parents and other knowledgable adults, and I by no means consider myself an expert on the subject or let alone proficient. I came to realize that this was something I'd always wanted to do, but just not quite enough to make time for. I figured this project would be the perfect opportunity to discover astronomy.

My project will be to take a large group of friends, family, adults, peers and fellow Napans on a night hike. I would like to be able to give a tour of the stars complete with scientific facts, legends, folklore and fun stories. By the end of this project I hope to be able to look at the stars and know their stories on any night in any area of the earth.

2 comments:

  1. Good used small telescopes can be had on various online outlets for cheap-ish...

    Like http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pho/3203821498.html

    Cool to take that and point it at Saturn! That's what I remember about looking through a telescope with a group from Cal. Saturn. The rings. WHOA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a telescope, not yet assembled. I've heard that using a telescope allows you to see the colors of stars as well. With the naked eye we can only see a vague blueish whiteish glow, but with better instruments color is revealed as well. I have yet to see this though.

      Delete